Wednesday, September 22, 2010

London Nightclub flyers 1967

Dave's Harlem map put me in the mind of these scanned flyers I got from somewhere


These clubs all look brilliant to me. I wonder what amazing clubs Glasgow had back in the day. My Dad has let me see some photos from inside 'saints and sinners' (now king tuts) and 'the cardinal folly' (which was then the temple, shack, steaming pile of ash . . .fuck knows what it is now), and my grandparents went for dances in the Barras when it was host to the best big bands in the world and didn't have a bar . . .I'm sure there would have been amazing jazz places before that . . .

4 comments:

  1. One things for sure: there wont be lack of photos from clubs of the last 10 years.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minstrels-Poets-Vagabonds-History-Glasgow/dp/0955312698/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285359310&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lanark painted quite an interesting portrait of west end before it got shite.

    My aunt also lived near kelvingrove park and told me it wasn't uncommon for "everyone back to mine for a party" after the pub to be a common feature of glasgow life. She was quite pleased when i confirmed the tradition had continued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heres an interesting thread:

    http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8149

    Quite a good forum for interesting stuff like that from memory, but you have to wade through a lot of shite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah I bet working in central Glaswegian dirty cinemas in the sixties was a hilarious job, all these pissed up ship builders and razor gang members in for a crafty ham shank, bet the banter was pure gold. I think it's true that the people have fundamentally not changed, just the drugs, haircuts and music has changed (and not by much)There will be Glasweigans announcing everycunt back to mine well after we're all deid.

    I remember seeing that they did a survey of working class folk in Glasgow in 1930 to see what their favourite leisure pursuits were, and the top three were going to the dancing, going to the cinema and going to the football. They did the same survey in 2006 and got the same top three, even in the same order. . .

    ReplyDelete