Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stop making that big FACE! Richard D. James: some songs

I've been revisiting some of my old music that hasn't been getting aired quite so much recently, and thought I'd do a small post on the mischievous Richard D. This is mainly because I've discovered a few bits and pieces I'd never heard before, and appreciate other ones differently now that I maybe glossed over in the past. His genius still amazes me. Very few artists, and certainly no other electronic artist pull so many varied emotions out of me. These are just a few of my favourites:



On the Richard D. James album. A strange nostalgic effect this track has on me, it takes me back to a time well before when I first heard it somehow. The whole album is full of themes of childhood so it makes sense; they're just amazingly delivered. "Richard?"... "Yep."



Fourfour techno warmth. There are a few like this on the many flavours of acid themed Analord series.



On the Caustic Window compilation.



The is it?/isn't it? alter ego material released under The Tuss. My god that's some funky, weird assed shit. Alspacka is also a belter.



From Selected Ambient Works 2. Opiate dream noise. There are only a few notes to this but that's why it's beautiful.



Analogue Bubblebath 4. This just makes me laugh every time, for some reason.

I need to stop before this becomes too long, there's so much more of course, right now I've got Drukqs playing, one of the seriously melancholy piano parts.

What are your favourites?

2 comments:

  1. "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

    Good call!
    I think the album that has the most power to suck me back to my teenage years is definitely Selected Ambient Works 85-92. Listening to the first track (Xtal) on repeat was just about the only thing my fragile angst-ridden psyche could handle at times. That soft, round kick drum gets me every time.

    http://youtu.be/Nevnq7MvVTI

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, the soundtrack to many a sleepytime...

    ReplyDelete