Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ennio meet The Orb

Now Then,

I just had another 'this came from that' moment, which made me smile.

The Orb's Little Fluffy Clouds sampled Ennio Morricone's Man With a Harmonica from Once Upon A Time In The West (just a bit, right at the beginning).

I love that moment when you've just heard the original source of something you've heard in its sampled form hundreds of times. Am I alone in being surprised when a sample is revealed as being a sample? I guess my assumption is that most stuff is original, despite listening to sample based electronic music for over 15 years.

The Orb



Ennio



Bonus Ennio that I've always had a soft spot for



Cheers

4 comments:

  1. nice. never made the connection but knew what you meant as soon as i read it.

    morricone is king, and these tunes have been burned into my brain from when i watched the movies as a kid; none of the leone westerns would be half as epic as they are without him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally, i never even had to finish the second sentence before it clicked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally man, Morricone rules, my favourite is The Ecstacy of Gold which also features as a sample at the start of Metallica's 'unforgiven' - And Babe Ruth's 'The Mexican' only reaches true greatness when it bursts into the theme from 'For a Few Dollars More' halfway through.

    In terms of suddenly realising where a sample comes from, nothing can beat the strange feeling when listening to Derek and Clive and having to rewind several times until I realised that it's only the fuckin guy shouting 'Later!' off Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald Here at 7.09

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, that Derek and Clive spot is really good.

    I was thinking this morning that the sample realisation moment is like and audio deja vu; it's a similar feeling.

    ReplyDelete