Tuesday, January 11, 2011

If You’re Not Getting Older, You’re Dead


So having turned 30 just a couple of weeks ago, my thoughts have naturally turned to aging and maturity in a slightly morbid yet calmly resigned way. I wasn’t really bothered about being 30 in particular, reckon I’ve felt older than that for some time now, but it’s one of those pre ordained landmarks at which you’re meant to think about these things so in the name of good old fashioned traditional orthodoxy, think about it I did. And I started looking out tunes that revolved around the theme of getting older and sticking them on. Another word for this sort of contemplation is ‘wallowing in it’. You can’t have a right good wallow without digging through your tunes (at least if you’re me) - So here is a compilation of tunes about getting old, being old and eventually snuffing it. It’s a wee bit depressing perhaps and worryingly close to my Dad’s taste in music – although I think that all makes sense, given the theme. And ‘When I’m 64’ was just too obvious, in case you wondered. The cheery title was contained in a happy birthday text from a mate of mine, who’s a psychiatrist and therefore knows about these things.


Tracklist

01 Done Got Old - Heartless Bastards
02 Jack Oblivian - Honey- I'm Too Old For You
03 Howlin' Wolf - Getting Old And Gray
04 Tom Waits - I Don't Wanna Grow Up
05 LCD Soundsystem - Losing my edge
06 David Bowie - Golden Years
07 Dusty Springfield -Goin Back
08 Leonard Cohen - Tower of Song (live)
09 Ann Peebles - Old Man With Young Ideas
10 Bill Withers - Grandmas Hands
11 Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where The Time Goes
12 Sammy Davis Jr - The Folks Who Live On The Hill
13 Squeeze - Labelled With Love
14 Nick Drake - Time Has Told Me
15 Bob Dylan - See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
16 The Monsters - Digging My Grave
17 Blue Oyster Cult - (don't fear) The Reaper
18 Peter Hammill - Pushing Thirty
19 Captain Beefheart - Old Fart at Play
20 Scott H Biram - Open up them pearly gates-(traditional)-(live)
21 Ralph Stanley - O Death
22 Dr Ross - I Am Not Dead
23 Penny Goodwin - Too Soon You're Old
24 They Might Be Giants - Older

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday you old fart!

    And thanks for the good sounds... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    Thanks for the compilation, look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. miseryguts. don't you know the way to never get old?

    ReplyDelete