Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pour la tête



Tasty Essential Mix from Fourtet on iPlayer at the mo.

It's being rebroadcast from January last year, I'm guessing because it won/got nominated for Essential Mix of the Year or somesuch, dunno really. It's ace anyway.

I'd not really listened to any of his stuff until fairly recently, prompted by the delightful single 'Moth' that he did with Burial, which was probably my favourite tune from 2009 (not that I'm very good at favourites). Still kills me that one though, every time.

Anyway: he seems to have done all sorts of stuff in the past, Warp-style electronica, hip hop, breaks, jazz, folk. Everything I hear from him these days though seems to have a general 4/4 pulse to it, with elements of other stuff splashed around all over the shop. I really like it, but I get the feeling his earlier stuff isn't like that. Is that correct, has anyone got any recommendations, and where's a good place to start with his albums?

3 comments:

  1. When I first heard 'Rounds' back in the day, I hadn't heard much like it at all, but now I've heard so much like it that it's hard to listen to it now and remember what seemed so new and interesting. It quickly became the muzak of trendy bars . . . Air Organic music. It's still nice summer tunes though, lots of nice shimmery twinkly harps and shit. Think Boards of Canada meets Jaga Jazzist.

    I remember at the time you would read the awful genre name 'folktronica' which annoys me mostly because there is absolutely no 'folk' music influence there at all - Jazz, hip hop, pop yes, but not folk. As far as I could tell the 'folk' part just means that there are acoustic stringed instruments in there. 'Everything Ecstatic' has more boring bits, but the best bits are better,some tunes stand out as particularly brilliant, like this one. Amazing use of vocals, woozy groovy blissed out drums, psychedelic jazz trumpets and splashy cymbals, with the whole mix managing to stay together and drive on and build in a focused way. It's four tet at his best in my humble opinion.

    I haven't listened to the new album much, but some remixes I've heard recently have been well good, I really like the remix of Jamie Lidell's 'The City' that's on Multiply Additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel kind of the same about older fourtet material, Rounds is not an album i revisit frequently, if ever.

    this is the title track off an EP from a few years ago which i still have on my mp3 player, though, probably because it's in good-old tick-tock bang-bang 4/4


    CLICKINGTONS

    there are a couple of great tunes on the new album, love cry and sing being my favourites. pretty sublime. loads of great remixes from these tunes in particular too as you say, like this joy orbison one.

    and yes, i have just discovered the magic of html linkage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this all chimes with what i suspected - had the feeling there had been a change of musical direction somewhere along the way.

    must be all this hanging out with burial and his residency at plastic people that's given him a penchant for making next level beats on his PC-computer.

    ReplyDelete