Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I kick arse for the LORD!


Al was asking for Reverend Julius Cheeks recordings, I knew I didn't have any albums, but the name totally rang a bell. Turns out it's from a track off of this album. It's a great collection of funk laden gospel, every tracks a winner in my book . . . hope you enjoy it

Download Overcome: Preaching in Rhythm and Funk



1 - Rev. Cleophus Robinson-Morning and Evening
2- The Staple Singers- Going Away 
3- The Campbell Brothers feat. Katie Jackson-I Feel Good 
4- Rev. Louis Overstreet-Prayer/I'm a Solider in the Army of the Lord
5- Prince Dixon-He Brought Me Out 
6-Crownseekers-Keep on Trusting in the Lord
7- Gospel Hummingbirds-Pray On 
8-Southern Gate Singers-Keep on Praying
9-Prince Dixon-Get Right Church 
10-The Staple Singers-Uncloudy Day 
11-The Campbell Brothers feat. Katie Jackson-By and By 
12-Rev. Julius Cheeks-Nobody's Fault But Mine 
13- Sensational Harmonizers-He Never Lost a Battle




9 comments:

  1. I found this in my search for Cheeks. I have a 4 disc nuggets of the golden era of gospel that I'll post for you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha search for cheeks

    cool man, I have a bunch of gospel too but I always want more good stuff, mostly cos I don't know what I'm looking for with it, nothing worse than getting some gospel and it turns out to be some actual lame ass christian choir in 1998 singing about how they want Jesus to be their boyfriend. I like the hellfire and damnation shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly. the hellfire and damnation shit of which you speak can be more potent and rockin' than rock n roll.

    You will love these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hctDzej2AY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heres some of the Julius Cheeks stuff I did manage to find. The search for Cheeks continues...

    http://www.mediafire.com/?jucbepbox493e9w

    ReplyDelete
  5. for you doo wop preservationists out there the bass-man of the group backing him on these recordings is nothing short of a fucking genius in the short lived but marvelous art form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic stuff! W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers for the Cheeks Al, always like it when you get yer cheeks oot

    One thing i do know about Gospel by the way, is that Marion Williams fucking rules

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpo4R76A4k

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete