Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sparks - Kimono My House (1974)



I fucking love Sparks. Been listening to this album all day and have decided to post it due to it's extreme brilliance. Sparks always struck me as what Queen would have sounded like if they were New York art fags instead of Cambridge University art fags. They have the high pitched vocals, the inventive and soaring guitar, the same over the top bombastic lyrical content and just the sheer creativity, intelligence and inventiveness. Glam with a brain. When they played on the old grey whistle test that old fogey dude that presents it described them as a cross between Frank Zappa and The Monkees. In my book that's high praise, not sure if he meant it that way. They did an album with Giorgio Moroder for god sake. They're still touring and recording interesting stuff, writing film scores and musicals and all kinds of shit, always creative, always pushing the boundaries. This album is their finest hour in my book. If all you know is 'this town aint big enough for the both of us', get this and check out how great every track is.



Download - Sparks - Kimono My House 1974

Buy it here

2 comments:

  1. mad, mad band. Love it tho

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbikVZgimqk&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fucking love the Sparks - saw them at the Big Chill a few years ago, one of the greatest gigs I have ever witnessed. All hail Ron and Russell.

    "Chicks dig metaphors"

    Oh yes they do.

    ReplyDelete